Thursday 29 March 2012

Technique Thursday!

Today I am going to share with you how to I created an effective but simple background using your masks and mists.  

As you all know I just love to layer on my layouts and I usually start off by adding a layer of colour to my layout using my mists and some masking templates.  It is a perfect way of adding extra dimension to your layouts without bulk and adding interest via colour to make your photos and any patterned papers really POP!   

There are so many cool templates out there at the moment and really the opportunities are endless... this is a layout I created using the last of my MME Miss Caroline papers from my design kit.  But first, I created the background using some glimmermist, The Crafter's Workshop Chicken Wire mask and butterflies masks by Studio Calico.   The chicken wire mask is my favourite mask at the moment as it provides subtle background interest without being too over the top!  I know that Adrienne is getting more stock of these in the shop so if you want one just let her know and she can put one aside for you!  


To create this background:

Firstly, set up a misting station, I generally use an old pizza box as this tends to contain the mist.  I grabbed a piece of plain white cardstock and thinking about where I wanted the focus of my layout to be I then added some pink glimmermist (Strawberry Shortcake).


Then I added my butterfly masks to the top left hand corner and sprayed over them with Slate Glimmermist.


To balance out the butterflies, I then added the Crafter's Workshop Chicken Wire template to the bottom right hand corner and resprayed with the Slate Glimmermist. 


That's it!  Super easy.. the hardest part is choosing which colours to use,   making sure you build up lightly with your mists and adding the elements in a complementary way.  As you can see in my layout, I have used a triangle shape to my design which is a great way of achieving balance on your layout as well as drawing your eyes into the focal point of my layout which is of course is my photo!

I hope you have enjoyed my little technique for Thursday and thanks for stopping by!

//Michelle

3 comments:

Lainie said...

This is just beautiful. Thanku for the tutorial, just love the misting, lot's of oomph! but so delicate at the same time.

Unknown said...

I love misting- you did a fabulous tutorial- love the pizza box idea!! Could have saved my dining room table, lol!

Heidi said...

fabulous Michelle - thanks for sharing your easy step by step guide

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...